Welcome to Day 4 of Indiana Digital Citizenship Week! Each day this week we will be celebrating by exploring a different topic related to being our best selves in the digital world. Each of these five posts will include a brief discussion of the day’s topic as well as resources and ideas for discussing these topics with your friends.
Day 4 – Digital Health
Digital tools, like other parts of our world, affect us in many ways. It’s important that we be aware of the impacts that technology has on our health, and that we make healthy choices that harness the power of technology for our own wellness.
Good digital health can take many forms. Part of being “eHealthy” is maintaining a proper balance between our real lives and our virtual lives. This can mean reducing screen time, making thoughtful choices about what we are doing when we are in front our screens, and being selective about the time of day that we use our devices (for example, avoiding our screens just before bed because they can impact our sleep). Digital health can also mean avoiding digital distractions that put us at risk, such as texting and driving. Technology, can also improve our health. We can use wearable technology to track our exercise, web tools to create diet and fitness plans, and mindfulness apps to enhance our mental and emotional well-being.
Here are some resources to learn more about this topic:
- TED Radio Hour: Screen Time – Part I
- TED Radio Hour: Screen Time – Part II
- Distractions and Teen Driver Crashes
- How Your Phone is Suffocating You
- Disconnecting from Technology
- Kids and Screens: Cutting Through the Static
Here are 5 actions that you can take today:
- Take some time for a Digital Detox.
- Take the It Can Wait pledge to stop texting and driving.
- Take the Internet Addiction Test.
- Learn about the harmful effects of sleeping with technology.
- Check out these great Health and Fitness Apps for kids.
Discussion Starters to Use with Your Friends:
- What qualifies as good/healthy screen time versus bad/unhealthy screentime?
- How do you know when your digital and real lives are out of balance?
- What do you do when your digital and real lives are out of balance?
- What are your favorite digital tools for improving your health?
- What are the dangers of technology to your health and well-being?
- How does technology affect you physically (for good or for ill)?
- How does technology affect you mentally (for good or for ill)?
- How does technology affect you emotionally (for good or for ill)?
- Is technology bad for our health? Why or why not?
Latest posts by Timothy Wilhelmus (see all)
- Day 5: Digital Responsibility – Indiana Digital Citizenship Week - September 15, 2017
- Day 4: Digital Health – Indiana Digital Citizenship Week - September 14, 2017
- Day 3: Digital Reputation – Indiana Digital Citizenship Week - September 13, 2017